Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Drunkeness of Noah

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking in this post.

I started with the outline for the next scene. The first of the center panels. Beige. Lots and lots of beige. In fact, 11 rows wide. I can't imagine doing the entire outline first, but now it's done.

My reward for all that boring beige is this pallet for the actual scene. There are some real pretty blues and greens I've never stitched before. It's going to be fun.

Here's the first corner figure finished. There's a lot to each scene in the way of background and border. The scene itself is only about 1/2 of the entire panel. One of these figures (called ignudi) are in each of the 4 corners.

Friday, July 10, 2009

The Prophet Zacherias

Here is the first of the 45 panels completed. The prophet Zacherias is at the top, center of this chart and to center the whole project correctly that is where I started. I've given you a picture of him upright.

Here is what he'll look like in relation to the rest of the project. After 2 1/2 weeks of stitching I'm feeling a bit more confident of this project. I admit, the scope of it was intimidating (and I love big projects). There are a large number of fractional stitches to smooth out the curves. I've done fractionals in Theresa Wentzler's designs before, but she always uses outline stitching to define the area. Here there are no outline stitches, so I've been challenged a bit to make my fractionals better. They are still a bit of a work in progress, but I'm going to get a lot of practice!

I've moved on now to the border around the central scenes. There are 9 of them in total. They begin with the creation of the world, and all come from the book of Genesis. You'll have to bear with me, as I'm stitching them in reverse of their chronological order. (Top to bottom of a chart is much easier for me.) These central panels will be completed before I move to the outer panels. The border around each scene is being done first. I have the left side completed for the "Drunkenness of Noah" already. I'm not taking any chances that the two sides don't line up, so I've run a thread from specific points to the other side so I'm sure things line up.
This last picture isn't the best, lighting-wise. I have my camera set to work real well under my craft light, but I'm going to have to take pictures in a different place I fear because of the size. I'll keep working on this too.